Thursday, March 10, 2011

Wedding Bouquets in Yellow and White

Ice Follies Daffodils or Narcissus are a staple in many spring gardens, and for years I have given them but a passing nod. But last fall I realized that these little work horses have some lovely qualities, and besides they have always been a favorite flower of my daughter, Judy. So late in December when I had such a longing for all things spring I knew I would pick them when they showed up in March and put them in a wedding bouquet. These pictures show the fruit of my labor.
When working with daffodils, it is important to remember that they must be cut and placed in a vase of water separately from other flowers for at least eight to twelve hours. They leak a slimy fluid that will pollute the water and spoil other flowers. When working them into designs after proper conditioning remember not to cut their stems again, (so cut them a little short the first time). Vase life should be around four to five days. Ice Follies start out with white back petals and lemon yellow cups that mature to a soft creamy white- I'm loving them this year!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment