Sunday, December 26, 2010

Wedding Flowers- Think Spring!!!

Most everyone in central North Carolina woke up this morning to beautiful scenes like this. I love to gaze at the splendor of snow robed branches such as these on the curly willow in my garden border. But after a while, my heart keeps turning to thoughts of spring. I have daffodils and tulips planted, and several trays of seeds that will yield flowers for mid to late spring.
For brides in our area, spring bulbs will start their show as early as mid February. While the above photo is not from my garden beds (it's from Purple Star Photography), I do grow this particular narcissus called Ice Follies. These sweet daffodils send up white flowers with lemon yellow centers that will mellow to a soft creamy white. I usually have them available by the third week of February. They would look charming nestled in bouquets with yellow ranunculus, and ivory hued garden roses.
May is one of my favorite months in the garden. This design contains Sarah Bernhardt peonies, purple larkspur (Consolida), pale blue flowers of Love in A Mist (Nigella), pink and yellow yarrow (Achillea), lamb's ear (Stachys), and yellow-green bracts of euphorbia. Foliage includes hostas and lime green Bleeding Heart (Dicentra).
All of these flowers are wonderful in floral designs for spring weddings. I can't wait to show them off in bouquets with tulips, hydrangeas, cybidium orchids and freesia.
This basket design is brimming over with flowers from my late spring- early summer garden beds. It contains cute little button flowers with yellow centers called feverfew, spires of pale pink foxglove (Digitalis), lavender larkspur (Consolida), pink and yellow yarrow (Achillea), pink and yellow calla lilies, silver green artemesia and lamb's ear (Stachys), and pink coneflowers (Echinacea) with bright orange centers.
These flowers are ideal for garden or barn themed wedding designs.
I will have more to say about these wonderful beauties from the garden as they begin to make their appearance in the months ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment